Tuesday, May 14, 2013

There is Almost Nothing Like Starting our Garden!!

In simple humility, let our gardener God, landscape you with the Word, making a salvation-garden of your life. James 1: ~21



I just LOVE this time of year! Glenn tilled the garden while I was at Word of Life, and I could just "hear" the soil calling out to me! "Plant me!"...and so....yesterday we started our planting. Gardening always helps me to feel closer to the Lord. I LOVE to meditate on His word and what it has to say about gardening both spiritually and physically. 

I also LOVE how it makes me feel close to my Mom. She was an avid gardener! Growing up, she had a huge vegetable garden which my brother and I would help to keep free of weeds. (not our favorite job in the world back then!) 

My Dad gave me my Mom's gardening gloves, and so as I worked in the garden yesterday, planting, and weeding our strawberry bed, I wore my Mom's gloves! Such a blessing to me!

So...yesterday while the boys were on a roof job with Glenn, we started planting! Nicole had many jobs yesterday. She did some watering and then she was my sawdust hauler! Glenn got a trailer load of sawdust from his Uncle to put as a weed barrier in between our rows. She must have hauled over 20 or more buckets for me yesterday!

My Mom's gloves!
 I put Grace and Madelyn in charge of planting 50 crowns of asparagus. It was quite labor intensive with VERY specific directions to follow. They had  to dig a hole 8-10 inches deep and space each crown about 4 feet apart and the rows had to be 18 inches apart! We've not had a bed of asparagus like this before! I'm soooo excited as we ALL LOVE asparagus!  Oh and yes...Madelyn truly multi-tasked yesterday as she also served as our photographer! Thank you Madelyn!

 Elisha and I planted peas here! Glenn made me a wonderful fence for them to climb on!

Elisha was in charge of planting: radishes, 2 kinds of lettuce, kale, spinach, some peas, and 2 kinds of swiss chard. Thank you cutie pie Elisha!






Many hands truly do make light work! When Glenn got home from work he couldn't believe how much we had gotten done!










Nicole...my one-gal bucket brigade! She did a great job!


This is one of the crowns of asparagus. We planted 50!






































Job well done girls! I couldn't have done it without you! May God bless us with a bountiful harvest!




No comments: